This is starting to fault find an access controlled door that was not locking. The Bewator K44 controller (pictured below) and the door release buttons were found to be working fine. The problem was in the magnetic lock mounted above the door.
Most UPVC doors use a type of lock called a Euro cylinder. I estimate less than 10% of houses in my area have BS kitemarked cylinders. The bulk of the other 90% of locks are to be frank ….. rubbish.
BS locks can also have additional ratings or certifications such as 1 to 3 stars, or the Sold Secure Diamond.
Below is a video of a high end BS cylinder. We supply and fit these Ultion locks if the customer wants one of the strongest locks available.
The locks were so seized they couldn’t be open with regular tools on the first visit. We finally unlocked it with a tool made by GJ Locks (thanks guys!) specifically for this lock.
The key holes needed to be filed wider to get the tool in, and other fiddling (such as clearing the dead insects out, and an extra person needed to push the door back against the frame).
Most mortice locks can be opened with a universal tool but because of the state of the locks and strain on the door I couldn’t manage it without the GJ too.
A customer called late at night with the end of the key snapped off in the car door. The key was badly worn and had not been turning without force and jiggling (until it finally snapped!). Customer thought he would need new locks.
The key was extracted from the lock. A new key was then cut with a computerised machine which cut to the measurements the original key when it was brand new. The new key worked smoothly, new locks weren’t needed and customer could drive away happy.
This is the snapped key held together in the trace cutting jig. It was necessary to reproduce a one piece copy of the snapped key. Only a key in one piece could be decoded by the computerised cutting machine.
We’d only supplied this lock last month but somebody snapped a key off, then pushed the broken part even further in with an old nail. It was impossible to remove the snapped part. This is the larger body size of the Master Pro Series padlocks.
We had to do a destructive removal of this chunky padlock. It was a right pain to get off, and I was very impressed with the amount resistance it put up. Getting it off was neither quick, nor quiet. Well done this lock.
We were asked to secure a commercial premises following a break in. The existing lock on the external door was a 3 lever, only really suitable for an internal door or bathroom, certainly not the main entrance.
Because of the badly fitted door the original lock bolt only entered the keep by about 2mm. The burglar simply pushed the door and the frame apart to get in.
A BS (British Standard) 2007 mortice lock has a minimum bolt throw of 20mm and makes it much more difficulty to prise door and frame apart. In addition there are specifications for minimum key differs, sawing and drill resistance.
Note to self: Don’t let your van slide backwards down a hill into a ditch on a bank holiday. Fortunately shops open again today so could buy myself a winch.
This antique rimlock was taken off a chapel undergoing renovation. The key was lost back in the depths of time and the owner wanted to keep as much of the original fabric as possible.
The bolt and the stump needed hammering flat as vandals had damaged it during a break in years ago. The mainspring was completely snapped and needed replacing. A similar era salvaged key was hand filed to work in the lock.
This door locked with a mechanical keypad was non destructively opened for a customer. The combination wasn’t passed on when the premises changed hands. Once the door was opened the code was changed so that the customer can now use the door.